Athenahealth Introduces an EHR-Integrated Telehealth Solution
Athenahealth announced in early June that it has released an EHR-embedded telehealth application called athenaTelehealth, which enables providers to preform virtual visits with patients without having to download separate software or use a third-party application.
- Features include scheduling, patient messaging, videoconferencing, charting, documentation, and billing.
- Consultations can be conducted from a computer or mobile device that has an integrated camera.
- Nurses can virtually complete the intake and hand off the patient to virtual practitioners.
- Physicians have access to the same documentation types that are typically available in a clinic-based visit.
- Medical interpreters and care team members can also join virtual consultations.
- It’s HIPAA-compliant.
Source: AthenaClinicals at SoftwareReviews, Report Published June 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the need for providers to turn to virtual care solutions like telehealth to meet with patients. Rapid innovation and adoption of telehealth solutions have inherent risks. Established EHR and patient management vendors are quickly developing and offering new options to meet the increased need for virtual care.